The endearing IIFA awards journey began in the year 2000. Entertainment permits to release your tensions in this harsh world of survival. No doubt today cinema is considered affordable means of entertainment. A cinema takes on many forms from simple songs and plays to storytelling to dance. Don’t you think the artists who contribute their talent to the film industry need to be honored and appreciated? Therefore the IIFA awards came into existence to acknowledge the talent and to further showcase Indian films across the globe. Listed below are some interesting and fun facts associated with the IIFA awards.
Highlights Of The International Indian Film Academy Awards
- Hindi film distribution and exhibition was introduced through Ster Kinekor in IIFA 2001. Ster Kinekor is the largest distributor and exhibitor in South Africa owning 360 screens and the largest circuit of 1.6 million viewers for Hindi cinema. It also has the distribution rights of more than 200 Hindi film titles.
- The first IIFA awards ceremony was kicked off by the IIFA Brand Ambassador, Amitabh Bachchan. Big ‘B’ also became the first ever Indian film star to be honoured with a wax statue at Madame Tussauds Wax Museum during the IIFA 2000 London event.
- Malaysia witnessed the first ever IIFA award event in 2002. The main focus of the evening was on the emerging perspectives of Indian Cinema and the exchange of technology and talent. The speakers included Ashutosh Gowarikar, Karan Johar, Farhan Akhtar and Madhur Bhandarkar.
- The IIFA 2003 award ceremony was held in Johannesburg and was a super hit. It is for this reason that the South African Tourism Department gave IIFA a certificate of excellence for outstanding contribution towards making South Africa a preferred tourist destination.
- At the IIFA 2004 award ceremony Bret Lee- the Australian cricketer made an appearance, thus leading to the inception of his association with the Hindi film industry.
- It was Abhishek Bachchan's first-ever international performance at IIFA 2005 which was held in Amsterdam. Later he was joined by Aishwarya Rai and Amitabh Bachchan on stage.
- The spectacular IIFA event held in Dubai won the award for for the Best International Global Event for South Asia in 2006 and thus created a benchmark in the world of Live events.
- During the Fringe Festival (held at IIFA 2007) Mr. Amitabh Bachchan, Minister of Civil Aviation- Mr. Praful Patel, Mr. Yash Chopra & Ms. Shabana Azmi were honored with doctorates.